Tuesday, August 7, 2007

SHE WILL DO WHAT U DO !! BREAK THE ADDICTION


Last week I had the opportunity to stay in the hospital for 8 days. Nopes, This time it wasn’t me on bed. My dad underwent an open heart surgery and therefore my mom and I were with him. He got operated on Tuesday and from then on it was just waiting time for us. Since he was under observation for the rest of the few days, we were just waiting. Now, it’s easy for me to get impatient because I had nothing to do but for my mom, it’s different. She would talk to the relatives of the patients on the neighboring rooms. She would speak to nurses and the staff over there and she had indeed made many friends. What I noticed is that they some how seem to share their story with mom and it was so easy. Some how I got involved in two of these real sad stories that would inspire few and entertain others I guess. Me? I didn’t have an answer.







Mashuk is a cute little kid running around the hospital veranda with those little steps. Once while I was impatiently walking back and forth the veranda he bumped me. Before I could pick him he just ran. Just then my mom came to me. I asked her who the kid was. She said he is from the neighboring room. Mashuks mother came along. Mashuk was trying to hide behind her. She looked very weak and tired. Mashuk was trying to hide behind her. My mom knew her story. So my mom told me that her husband had undergone surgery and was in the adjacent room. Mashuk’s mom shared the remaining part of the story with me and my mother. As it’s known that in India in majority of the Muslim family the bread winner works abroad. Same is the case with the mashuk’s father. He used to work in Saudi along with his younger brother. I could imagine how hard it would have been on both of them to be away from each other for long time. Mashuk’s father was a chain smoker and he would never quite even though his wife had repeatedly asked him to do so. One fine day the inevitable happened. He had a mild heart attack. His colleagues were knowledgeable enough to give an aspirin and get him to hospital. He got an injection which saved him from another big attack. But he was declared as vulnerable by doctors. He decided not to come to India although his brother insisted that he should return to India. His brother somehow got him to resign for which he got thrown out of the company due to some company policies. His brother never repented for this. He was happy that his elder brother could now leave to India and get operated. They came to India and he got operated. Mashuk’s mom told me that he is addicted to smoking and she isn’t sure how she could get it off him. She could only ask him to swear that he wouldn’t smoke again looking at his cute little kid. I can’t imagine how many families have been destroyed by smoking. Every day Mashuks mom would go home and prepare food for her mother in law who was old and come back to hospital in a hurry, all this carrying little Mashuk around. It would be really sad to have little Mashuk grow without father around. Why don’t people understand? It’s a suicide. I can imagine the tremendous pain and agony that the family would go through if the bread winner is in the hospital bed. All this which could be avoided by being a responsible person.






My father was a chain smoker. He had a heart attack 14 years back and was diagnosed with heart problems with multiple blocks. Fortunately for me and my family he was responsible enough to understand. Not only did he quite smoking, but he went on a strict diet regime thereby avoiding the open heart surgery for 14 years. An open heart surgery 14 years back would have affected his family very bad, but I believe his sacrifice thought us a lesson. I always admired him and people always say that I must be proud of a father who has tremendous will power and patience and love for his family. After 14 years now it was time. His blocks were severe. Though initially he wasn’t ready to get operated we managed to change his mind. Last week when they put him back to the ward after the observation I was relieved and he was happy. I held him and made him walk. It was emotional to watch and be there. I felt good and satisfied and proud that I didn’t let his sacrifice go in vain. I couldn’t be more thankful.






Sorry for drifting away. What I would like people to know is that, you may have million reasons to stay smoking but if you could get the smoke cleared out of your view, you will know how many love you. They need you. Please don’t give reasons. It hurts your loved ones. Stop smoking for yourself. Personally for me, mashuks face could be the reason enough to stay alive.


Mashuk’s father wants to go back to suadi but mashuk’s mom who was almost in tears now told me that she would not allow him to go. She had suffered enough and it was time to take control. Money could buy you many things but not life and happiness.






Next day my mom was speaking to a girl in her 20’s she who was sitting on the bench outside the ICU and crying. She seemed to be alone. My mom asked her what has happened. She told us that her father was in ICU. He had and heart attack and yup he was a smoker. She said they were all 3 sisters and no relatives. She didn’t know what to do. Doctor’s have suggested open heart surgery but she got no money and she is the eldest of all. My mother could only console her. I could only watch and think about how different it would have been if and only if her father was responsible enough. You could ask me if he was admitted to the hospital for some other reason then what? Well, if’s and but’s don’t count. Smoking is suicide and could be avoided.






Later that week we meet 4 other families in which one or the other in the family is suffering from heart related illness. Majority of them were smokers. Some of them had little kids and some didn’t have any money and were broke. I understand how much a countries economy suffers due to these illnesses which is evitable. It’s a curse to the developing nation. Let’s be responsible towards our family and to ourselves.






Patrick Reynolds was the first tobacco industry figure to turn his back on the cigarette makers. He’s a grandson of the tobacco company founder R.J. Reynolds, but the family’s cigarette brands, Camel and Winston, killed his father and eldest brother.






Please visit this website if you want to know more. It might help you. You won’t repent. God bless all. To all smokers, “WE care, cigarettes don’t.” Please don’t smoke them out into thin air.



http://www.anti-smoking.org/children.htm







No comments: