Friday, October 9, 2009

Did Edison’s AC KILL TOPSY?

Do you see corruption, inhuman activities and close your eyes? Do you feel like you are one of them, so you don’t have the right to talk about these things or oppose these things? Well, I thought so. But there is something that my friend pointed out. This is something that changed the way I looked at things. This is something that I want you to know.




This is the conversation I had with my friend posted as it is without editing.



My friend :


Dude,
Since you are writing Blogs you should probably think about writing about how humans have misused animals in experimentations.
I was watching a video on youtube - Edison’s efforts to show the world how dangerous electricity is - basically tied up an elephant (called Topsy) and electrocutes it.

As the elephant was brought in (considering elephant to be one of the most intelligent creatures after us), would have been going through his mind? He was following his master like how a kid followed his parents only to be killed. It reminded me of an incident a friend narrated where a couple had to throw away their kid to the crocs to save the rest of the people in the boat. That’s one side of the story.

The other side was about the experiment in itself. It extends not just to that experiment but also the various other experiments that even till date man continues doing knowing very well that effects on animals not necessarily needs to be the same on humans,

This is just a suggestion

Cheers


Me:

Well Pabs, I can write on this, but I will only sound like a hypocrite.

I mean, first of all we humans shouldn’t domesticate, elephants or any other animal for that matter. Don’t they hurt them while training? And yet we sit on it and go for ride in safaris. Now you might say that, domesticating is one thing and killing for experiment is another. Well, how do we decide which one is the most sinner thing to do? You may argue that it’s written in bible or any other religious books that taking life of another is the biggest sin. Well, then what do we do in wars? You kill or get killed. Anyway, let’s keep that aside. You may argue that it’s unrelated. Killing for experiments is unethical. But is the life of lab rats less important to that of elephant? Do we test the medicines on humans? Would that be intelligent? I am not arguing that Edison was right (if he had done it).

I have been writing and will continue to write on issues that haunts mankind or animals. The question is where do I begin and where do I end? Man including me has got accustomed to the luxuries of life and has gone blind in all ways. The leather shoes I wear and belt I wear is some animal’s skin. The car seat of the costliest car that you may be dreaming to own is made of croc skin. I can write bro. I just don’t want to sound hypocrite. I am just finding a way explain all this and inspire, in a way which will not sound hypocritical. Because if people feel that what we write is just for reading and nothing, then there is no point in writing. It’s a catch 22 situation. All that I tell others is that. I am doing my bit, are you? If not, please do!!

Thanks,
Raj

My Friend:

Bro,

Domesticating elephants is the worst crime one can do, because the process of domestication is far worse than having an elephant in prison (zoos).

I never take elephants rides for this very reason even during my research expeditions be it Burma or Vietnam. I prefer risking my life than bearing the guilt that I am sitting on an elephant who has been completed “broken down” cos i want to feel more secure.

Regarding rats in labs or monkeys with cosmetics stitched inside its eyes, animal experiments are all terrible. But one would focus on an animal that generates more empathy among humans…..and elephants being a classic case was a great point to start….start because there is a long way to go.

Regarding shoes, I always try to buy fake leather which is pretty much similar in looks and texture. Try it out…. So there is always an option.

Well but end of the day, in more than one ways I am also responsible for causing harm to some animal in some way or the other. But if I told myself that this morning, I had to kill a roach or a mosquito and therefore it would be hypocritical to save an elephant or an almost extinct tiger, I think I would be comparing apples to large melons although both are fruits.

The gravity of saving the elephants and tigers in our jungles and the jungles itself is profound.

Nevertheless, this reply is only to try and help you understand that every one of his in some way is hypocritical if we had to extrapolate the primary issues. But that shouldn’t stop one from doing some good somewhere correct?

It aint gonna be hard to quit taking an elephant ride or refrain from going to a circus or buying ivory in any form correct???? As long as that is done, you are also in this war to save the wildlife dude.

Mind you I am not trying to change your mind about writing a blog; I just wanted to give you a different perception of the hypo u spoke about.

Cheers,
Pabs

Me :

Bro !!
What you explained is true!! In fact this conversation is so intense that, I will blog this as it is. The reason being, that, it has got the issue which you wanted me to discuss. Secondly, it has got the general apprehension that people have in their mind (i.e. the question I asked, will be the question in many more minds). Thirdly, you have explained it very well. I am impressed!!

The idea is to tell things in a way which doesn’t sound like ordering people to follow. For example, last year, we had a campaign going on to make cognizant a smoke free zone. Someone blogged stating that, the decision to smoke or not should be left to individual and no one should be forced. Also, it stated that one should only make people aware of the health hazards but should not force the decision to smoke or not to smoke on them. However, this post was widely debated, with lots of anti comments, because this post was indeed threatening our campaign. However, the government then decided that smoking in public places as well as in and around office premises in not allowed. Also Cognizant was gracious enough to accept it and now it is a smoke free zone!!

So, I think sometimes, things have to be stopped by stringent laws and a system to protect that law. We can ask people to stop wearing leather shoes and similar things, but it will take very long time to change people’s habit. Remember, habits die hard. But hey, what you told is absolutely right as well. One step at a time and some day we might even find some law being made. How knows? Moreover, like Gandhi. “Be the Change you want to see in the world”

Thanks Bro,

Raj

Though I did research and it is known that electrocution using AC (alternating current) was the method only suggested by Edison and the authorities had already decided to kill it by hanging. So, I really can’t blame Edison because he just gave an idea to kill the animal with the least possible pain.

Whatever happened to Topsy, we still live in a world which is inhumanly cruel towards animals. Really, luxury, greed and selfishness have left no good in us towards animal or towards fellow humans for that matter.

Topsy story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/3083029.stm

No comments: